Saturday, April 7, 2012

My Walk Through the Streets of Harlem

The first thing I found interesting looking through these two sites was "Speaker's corner" which was a corner in Harlem that is very famous for hosting prominent, important civil rights speakers voicing their opinions on step stools and soap boxes. Personally I think that's pretty interesting. Something I also found intriguing was the story about the black boxer Jack Johnson. He basically represented black people in boxing and in society, so much so that white people were scrambling to try to find a white savior of boxing. Personally I think that that is stupid, and it is honestly a shame that America split itself by trying to pit the whites against the blacks. Many white boxers wouldn't even fight him because he was black. But he just persevered through all the drama and idiocy and eventually became champion. That is just the type of person he was, eccentric, and not really caring about what was normal or accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment