Sunday, September 18, 2011

Native American Culture Blog

Out of any of the stories and myths I read in English class so far this year, I was most intrigued by the creation myth of the lady falling out of the sky world. I thought it was interesting how they made things up to try to explain their world. For as long as man has been conscious he has been trying to figure out how he got there. That is why every culture on Earth has a different creation story, that, much of the time had something to do with their environment. What I found intriguing most of all was how they explained all of the good and evil in the world. The idea that two twins, good and evil, created the Earth would explain a lot for them. Why some animals were nice, while others were mean. Why humans have traits that good and bad. Why some things were good in nature, while others were bad. It explained many things in their daily lives, and I can understand why they came to the conclusions they did with the limited knowledge they had. Now I have heard much about how the Native Americans did elaborate dances to stories like these. I would have much liked to see the dance to this story. How they showed the pregnant woman falling from the sky world, how the evil twin came out of the woman's armpit, how the good song killed the younger son. This story intrigued me greatly as have many of the legends of the Native American cultures to try to explain nature and happenings in life.

1 comment: